• 22 Mar 2023 10:04 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    For a free drink for you and one guest at the CYC bar (courtesy of Ken Johnson):


    Two parts:

    1. Which CYC member was the first to represent the USA in an Olympics sailing event? 
    2. Which CYC member most recently represented the USA in an Olympics sailing event?

    As tie-breakers, in what years and in what boats?

    Send responses to Ken at: Kenneth.johnson4@comcast.net. Earliest submission with most correct answers win.

  • 14 Feb 2023 9:46 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    For a free drink at the CYC bar (courtesy of Ken Johnson):


    • What does the attached proposal drawing represent?
    • Why was it proposed?
    • About what year was this proposed, and was the proposal ever realized?

    Send responses to Ken. Most correct answers win.


    We received interesting replies to the question of what this proposed drawing represented, including an early study for Shilshole and a proposed sailing center at Magnussen Park. While interesting, not correct. Here is the story.

    In 1952, the International 110s moved from Lake Washington to Duwamish Head to test the Sound’s winds and a possible Duwamish Head sailing center. A year later the drawing is of a moorage basin and yacht club proposed for the site of Haury’s Boat House (1941-1961) on Duwamish Head (the present location of Seacrest Park, where the West Seattle Water Taxi docks and the Marination Restaurant is located). In 953 two CYC members, both later Commodores, Richard Marshall (1957) and Stephen Chadwick, Jr. (1965), did an elaborate study computing hourly and overall afternoon and evening wind speed averages for each day and month together with prevailing wind directions from March through October for both the Lake and Duwamish Head. They concluded, as reported in the 1953 Helmsman: “In our experience, the Sound wind is steadier in velocity and direction, and more uniform [compared to the Lake.]” They also concluded that on seven of eight days there was a good northerly windward course from Duwamish Head to various points on Magnolia (Smith Cove, where Elliot Bay Marina is located, 4 Mile Rock or West Point) – on the 8 th day, it would be calm or a southerly with a downwind start. In their report there was no mention of any issues crossing the Elliot Bay ferry lines or commercial boat traffic.

    Seattle Yacht Club was located on Duwamish Head close to the proposed location until World War I.

    The 1954 Helmsman reported results for the 110s back on the Lake. While the Duwamish Head proposal was not realized, the proposal and study were foundations for more interest of sailing on the Sound and the subsequent move of some fleets from the Lake to Shilshole in the 1960s and the building of the CYC Shilshole Clubhouse in 1969.

  • 20 Jan 2023 9:44 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)


    The Club’s current perpetual Performance and Discretionary trophies are Bill Lieberman, Blakely Rocks, Boating Family, Boat of the Year, Commodore, Dog House, Garrett Holder Jr. Sailor, George Spalding Jr. Inspirational, Gibson, Greig Memorial Cruising, Hans Otto Giese, Northwest Challenge, Possession Point, Pulley Point, Sailor of the Year and Werner Ohmes Foghorn.

    Only two of the Club’s current perpetual Performance and Discretionary trophies date back to 1945, the Club’s first year. What are they?


    As described at CYC Awards Party, there are two trophies that date back to the Club’s 1945 origins. They are:

    • The Commodore Trophy – won in 1945 by R.O. “Bud” Anderson in his 6 meter, “Hanko;” in 2022, won by Jennifer Heins and Tim Huse on their J/35 “Those Guys.”
    • The Doghouse Trophy – won for 1945 by CYC’s first Commodore and Club founder Charles Frisbie; due to the “code of silence,” there was no “winner” for 2022.

    No correct answers were submitted so no winner (ie, no free drink) for this quiz. Better luck next time!

  • 6 Dec 2022 9:38 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)


    Over the Club’s 77-year history it has had various large one-design classes, as listed in the various issues of the Helmsman/Navigator.


    • Laser Class, 60 boats in 2006
    • Thunderbird Class, 42 boats in 1967
    • Thistle Class, 38 boats in 2006
    • J/24 Class, 39 boats in 2007
    • San Juan 24 Class, 36 boats in 1985

    Congratulations to Sara Longley, who named all 5 classes. She wins a free drink for herself and a guest at the CYC bar.

  • 11 Oct 2022 9:31 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Question - October 11, 2022,  Telltale

    What do the columns on the right represent?


    The 1981 Lake Washington Starting Orders.

    Given the long staring orders, there generally was just one race per night for each class.

    There were many responses to the question, some of which were correct. The first, and best, response was from Francis “Frank” Moore, now a Thistle sailor (“Kon Tiki”). Frank raced in PHRF A on a J/30, “Natural High,” in the 1980s; Frank also sailed a Hobie 18 in the 1980s and today owns two Lasers in addition to his Thistle. Frank wins the free drink at the CYC bar.

  • 7 Sep 2022 11:04 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Questions - September 7, 2022, Telltale 

    See the attached drawing of a structure proposed  to be built by CYC. 

    1. Was the structure built, and if so, what was/is it and where was/is it located?
    2. If it wasn’t built, why not and what was to be its purpose?


    The drawing is of a 1950 proposed racing Rower at Leschi.  From 1945 until the Tower was completed in 1951, the CYC Race Committee ran the races from various outdoor shore sites – and so had to brave wind, rain and the elements.  Early races were run from the Leschi Ferry building and oater from the roof of the cold storage building –now the BluWater Bistro restaurant.  The courses would use the “permanent” marks first set up in 1946, and the starting/finishing marks were just off Leschi (and not adjustable for the winds).  Race committee work was indeed a labor of love. 

    Walt Little, Hugh Miracle and Ken Kenworthy were among the CYC members who led the construction of the Race Tower.  See the photo of the construction attached.  The 1951 Helmsman noted that “The unavailability of materials made it impossible to use the previous plans for a more efficient tower; however, the present structure provides welcome protection to the hardworking Corinthian Race Committee…”  In 1962, the Race Tower was moved from its initial location at the Yacht Basin to its current location at the north Leschi moorage.  The Race Tower, now unused, is slated for destruction. 

    For a full history of the Leschi Race Tower, see “History of the Leschi Race Tower” below. 

    History of the Leschi Race Tower
    The drawing in the History Quiz goes back to 1950 and is of a proposed racing Rower at Leschi  that was built in 1951.  From 1945 until the Tower was completed, the CYC Race Committee ran the races from various outdoor shore sites – and so had to brave wind, rain and the elements.  Early races were run from the Leschi Ferry building, which was torn down to build the Leschi marina.  Races were then run from the roof of the cold storage building – later the Leschi Café and now the BluWater Bistro restaurant.  The courses would use the “permanent” marks first set up in 1946, and the starting/finishing marks were just off Leschi (and not adjustable for the winds).  Race committee work was indeed a labor of love.

    Walt Little, Hugh Miracle and Ken Kenworthy were among the CYC members who led the construction of the Race Tower.  See the photo of the construction attached.  The 1951 Helmsman noted that “The unavailability of materials made it impossible to use the previous plans for a more efficient tower; however, the present structure provides welcome protection to the hardworking Corinthian Race Committee…”  In the same light: “Frantic pursuits of wind scattered record papers and frustrating efforts to write on wet, disintegrating work sheets have thus become memories – nightmares conquered by dreams.”

    The Race Tower was located in the Yacht Basin- the marina between North and South Leschi – likely near the outmost float (at one time it was possible to buy gas at the Yacht Basin).  If anyone remembers where exactly the Tower was located, please let us know!

    In 1962 the Race Tower was moved from its original location to its present site at the “outer dock of the new north Leschi moorage.” The 1962 Helmsman continued: “Now the race committee has an excellent view of the race course and participants, and there is space to store the equipment of the Junior Club Penguin fleet as wells as for the Race and Marks Committees.  The move as accomplished in true Corinthian fashion by club members under the direction of Walt Marshall.  The tower was physically transported by Vance Sutter (Fain’s brother) with his fishing tender…”

    A year later the Helmsman reported that “Management of the races from the Leschi tower was greatly facilitated by the new arrangement of mast and signals engineered and executed by Felix Moitoret [1967 CYC Commodore]  …The new installation has been a tremendous success (except for the time Dick Marshall [1957 CYC Commodore] tripped on the lanyard and blasted a hole in the postponement flag).” 

    Starting/finishing lines were set between a flag on the race tower and an outer mark “Z.” There was also an inner mark “L” closer to the tower and boats had to start between “L” and “Z.”  I have heard that at some time the “Z” mark was connected to underwater rails and could be adjusted to the appropriate wind directions by lines running to the race tower – but I cannot find anything in the Helmsman or Leadline about this.  If you have any information about adjusting the marks from the Race Tower, please let me know.

    Until 1966, all Lake Washington races started from the race tower irrespective of wind direction.   That year Phil Duryee located a sturdy craft to serve as a floating race committee boat and he put together a syndicate of individuals and the T-Bird and I-14 fleets to purchase and outfit the boat and then charter it to CYC on a lease-purchase arrangement so the boat eventually became CYC property – thus YC2!

    Even so, the Leschi Race Tower continued to be used to start and/or finish for certain races, including the Women’s Twilight Series in the early 1980s and the Windjammer, Weekend, Long Distance Series, Moonlight and Starlight races into the early 2000s. 

    History moves on, and the Race Tower, once the pride of CYC, now sits unused and is slated for destruction.  Attached are photos of the current Race Tower.

  • 27 Jul 2022 10:36 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Questions - July 27, 2022, Telltale

    1. Who is pictured on this Helmsman Cover
    2. What is the trophy on the cover?
    For tiebreakers:
    • What is the year?
    • Finally, what is unique about this Helmsman cover?
    A Free Drink to Larry and Carol Mast for their response.


      1. Bill Buchan is on the 1955 Helmsman cover.  The trophy pictured is the Mallory Cup, given to the winner of the Men’s North American Sailing Championship (now titled the Adult Sailing Championship) and features representatives from the eight US Regional Sailing Associations.  Bill sailed with his father, William Buchan, and Ron McFarlane, representing the PIYA (and CYC).  In the regatta, sailed on Lake St. Claire, just out of Detroit, Michigan, they won 3 of the 8 races (and had two 2nds, a 4th and a 5th), winning by an amazing 5 ½ points over some of the best sailors in America.  The competition began in 1952, and transitioned to an open event in 1993.  This was the only northwest crew to win this trophy until 1986 when Jack Christiansen, Charlie McKee and Cheryl Lanzinger won, followed in 1998 by Dalton Bergan, Kevin Guitron and Mike Visser.
      2. The Mallory Cup is a magnificent sterling silver tureen originally given by the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to the family of Lord Nelson in appreciation of his command over the English fleet that defeated Napoleon in the Battle of the Nile in 1798.
      3. The 1955 Helmsman cover is unique as it is the only cover to feature a separate photo of a CYC member (all other covers only feature boats).  The cover is also interesting as it features a Star, a boat obviously associated with the Buchans – Bill’s very enjoyable memoir is titled “Star Fever” - but the 1955 Mallory Cup was sailed in Luders 16’s.
    • 13 Jul 2022 9:19 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

      Questions - July 13, 2022, Telltale

      1.     Who is this CYC member in the picture?
      2.     What are the two trophies which he is holding?
      3.     His boat was the first boat from Seattle to participate in what event?

      Staff Commodore John Ellis (Commodore in 1958) wins a free drink at the CYC Bar for the July 13, 2022 Quiz. 


      Alan Holt is the junior holding two 1956 awards.  In his right hand, the Sears Cup – emblematic of the Junior North American Sailing Championship – which has been awarded since 1921.  To participate, Alan and his crew Fred Ray and Steve Banks, had to win the local title, the PIYA Regional eliminations and the Pacific Coast Championship.  The competition was held just outside of Montreal, Canada on a wide spot of the St. Lawrence River in a variety of conditions, with the last of 8 races the decider. The crew won on a tie-breaker, based on more second places!   Reflecting the times, the sailors and family members traveled to Montreal by train.

      In Alan’s left hand is the Virginia Platt Trophy awarded to the outstanding CYC Junior Sailor for the year.  This trophy was donated by the I-14 fleet in 1953 to be awarded to a CYC junior based on sailing record and participation in Junior Club activities.  Evidencing the Holt family’s sailing skills, Alan’s brother, Dennis Holt, won this award in 1958. Other winners of this trophy include Brian WertheimerCarl Buchan and Derek Campbell. The Virginia Platt Trophy, unfortunately, has disappeared and is no longer in CYC possession!

      (See below for information about Virginia Platt, a brilliant young woman with an extraordinary, if far too brief, a career.)

      And Alan Holt’s boat, a Star named Ariel, locally built and rigged, was the first Seattle boat to participate in the Olympic Games! Alan and his crew Dick Gates won the Olympic Trials held in San Francisco, besting former Star World Champions Bill Buchan and Lowell North, among others, for the right to participate in the 1972 Olympic Games held in Kiel-Schilksee, Germany.

      Virginia Platt, Seattle born, graduated from high school in 1940, studied architecture at Vassar College for two years and contemporaneously taught physics for the US Navy.  In 1943, she studied mechanical engineering at the U. of Washington, subsequently receiving her undergraduate degree in science and a masters in physics, and taught physics at the U from 1943 to 1952 (including while she was an undergraduate!).  Platt was one of the first women in the country to become a member of the Sigma Xi science honorary.

      Platt sailed, owning a 21’ sloop named Pete-Too.  She joined CYC in 1948, and by 1950 she was on the Board as Secretary, a position she held until 1952, and she contributed occasional articles to the annual Helmsman.  She also was a member of Seattle Yacht Club.

      While visiting relatives in Carmel, California, Platt contracted polio myelitis and died there in October 1952 at the age of 29.  She is buried in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Seattle.

      The Helmsman for 1952 carried two tributes to Virginia Platt.  First, a comment by Commodore Francis A LeSourd: “We will not forget Virginia Platt.  No one was more devoted to Corinthian.  We remember her efficiency as Secretary, but what shall really endeared her to us was her great human interest.  As a gatherer of humorous and spicy information on Corinthian goings-on, she had no equal.  Her tragic death was one of the greatest blows to fall on our club.”          

      And this Memoriam:


      Whose service to her Club cannot be measured
      Whose infectious laughter and ready wit lightened many a dull moment Whose time was ours, when needed, with no reservations
      Whose dependability and efficiency eased the burdens of our officers
      Whose capacity to give or herself to any project was unlimited
      Whose interest in and friendliness toward people was boundless
      Whose lack of personal vanity in her achievements as noteworthy
      Whose strength of personality and genuine individuality was recognized instantly
      Whose friendship was a gift to be treasured
      Who exemplified the truest tradition of sportsmanship, not only in sailing, but in her daily living

      TO VIRGINIA PLATT, this Memoriam is dedicated.

    Thank you, Business Members!

    Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle
    7755 Seaview Ave NW 
    Seattle WA 98117
    (206) 789-1919 (Main line)

    (206) 402-6870 (Juniors)



    pre-2018 Web Archive
    pre-2011 Web Archive

    47° 41.14' N 122° 24.22' W

    Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software