Opti Racing Camp
July 17 - July 21$425
Sailors who join the Opti Racing camp will be introduced to the basics of racing sailboats and the racing rules and by the end of the week will be competing with each other on the water. Participants must be able to sail an Opti successfully upwind and downwind in breeze up to 10 knots, and tack and gybe correctly.
Monday, July 17, to Friday, July 21, 2017
9:30am-4pm (9-9:30 am drop off; 4-4:30pm pick up)
Prerequisite: Youth Intermediate (or equivalent)
First Day of Camp
Bring your signed Liability Waiver.
We will welcome the kids with an orientation. Safety is our priority and an orientation will be followed by a required swim evaluation and capsize exercise (flipping the boat over and righting it) right near the dock. Our instructors oversee and explain both of these activities beforehand.
- Swim Evaluation: The swim evaluation consists of participants swimming 20 feet alongside the dock without a life jacket and briefly treading water.
- Capsize Test: The capsize test will be later in the afternoon and teaches kids how to right an Opti, in the event it capsizes.
Every Day of Camp
Students should arrive prepared each day of camp. Non-cotton fabrics are highly recommended, as they dry quickly, do not hold water, and keep kids comfortable.
- Swim suit & towel
- Complete change of clothes (fleece, T-shirt , pants, raincoat, socks)
- Sunblock (at least 30 SPF)
- Water Bottle
- Closed-Toed Shoes
- Hat and Sunglasses that you are willing to lose
- Life Jacket (we have a number to borrow)
- Snack & Lunch
Please do not bring ANY electronics (cell phones, I-pods, I-anything) as they can be damaged by salt water and we cannot be responsible for their loss.