Beginner Opti Camp
August 21 - August 25$410
Beginner Opti camp introduces kids to the basics of sailing a small boat by putting them in the driver’s seat of an Opti sailboat. The main focus of this repeatable camp is the development of basic skills for a strong sailing foundation. By the end of camp most sailors will be able to put together an Opti and have some control of the boat in light breeze. This camp is a good fit for brand new sailors and returning beginning sailors alike.
Monday, August 21, to Friday, August 25 2017
9:30am-4pm (9-9:30 am drop off; 4-4:30pm pick up)
No experience necessary
First Day of Camp
Bring your signed Liability Waiver.
We will welcome the kids with an orientation. Safety is our priority and an orientation will be followed by a required swim evaluation and capsize exercise (flipping the boat over and righting it) right near the dock. Our instructors oversee and explain both of these activities beforehand.
- Swim Evaluation: The swim evaluation consists of participants swimming 20 feet alongside the dock without a life jacket and briefly treading water.
- Capsize Test: The capsize test will be later in the afternoon and teaches kids how to right an Opti, in the event it capsizes.
Every Day of Camp
Students should arrive prepared each day of camp. Non-cotton fabrics are highly recommended, as they dry quickly, do not hold water, and keep kids comfortable.
- Swim suit & towel
- Complete change of clothes (fleece, T-shirt , pants, raincoat, socks)
- Sunblock (at least 30 SPF)
- Water Bottle
- Closed-Toed Shoes
- Hat and Sunglasses that you are willing to lose
- Life Jacket (we have a number to borrow)
- Snack & Lunch
Please do not bring ANY electronics (cell phones, I-pods, I-anything) as they can be damaged by salt water and we cannot be responsible for their loss.